Re: RFS: webgui -- Content management platform to maintain complex web sites

On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 22:55 +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:31:40 -0430, Ernesto Hernandez-Novich wrote:
>
> > I believe the package is ready to go into Debian (lintian too :-), so I'm asking for a
> > sponsor to check it and upload;
>
> I took a short look at the package, and indeed I do have some
> questions/comments :)
>
> * debian/rules:
>   When the package is built with -j X the install-stamp target is run
>   twice; binary-arch is mandated by policy 4.9
>   --> attachment rules.diff
>
>   Just curious: is there a possibility to run the tests at build
>   time?

webgui provides to tests:

testEnvironment just checks to see if the required Perl modules are
installed, and have the required minimal versions, and also checks
whether it can connect to WebGUI's website for newer versions. The first
part of that test is taken care by the package dependencies; the second
part doesn't make much sense while packaging.

testCodebase runs extensive tests using prove over the whole code base.
This tests require a properly set up Apache2 and WebGUI database, since
it tests the WebGUI classes, and a good part of the REST-ful part of the
application. It's a destructive tests over the database, and it's
provided for WebGUI developers only. It's also a WIP for WebGUI, since
several tests are being changed to work properly under Perl 5.10.

I currently don't see a reason to run them while building the package.

>  And what's the reason for installing them in the binary package?

testEnvironment (under /usr/bin as wg-testEnvironment) just as a
convenient way for the sysadmin to check that everything is installed
properly and check for newer releases (which would be handled with
backports and/or security depending on the case).

testCodebase is currently being placed in /usr/share/webgui/sbin instead
of a global directory for two reasons: it's still somewhat hardcoded to
run from there and I'm working with upstream to fix that, and it's only
meant to be run by a developer since the tests are destructive, so I
figured it would be "dangerous" to place in /usr/bin.

> * lintian is not as happy as it could be:
>   webgui source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.7.3 (current is 3.8.0)
>   (please also add a debian/README.source)

Done.

>   webgui: package-contains-empty-directory usr/share/webgui/t/Utility/

As I said before, tests are a work in progress. The tests that go here
will be released in 7.5.17 and/or 7.5.18

>   webgui: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/share/webgui/upgrades/upgrade_7.4.40-7.5.16.pl
>   Probably ok too, also a candidate for a lintian override

This one was a bug.

> * debian/copyright:
>   You have to add the copyright for all third-party stuff; I've seen
>   that you don't install it any more but it's still in the source
>   package (the .orig.tar.gz) which is also distributed by Debian.
>   (tinymce, yui, ...)

All the files in the binary package, with the sole exception noted in
the copyright file, are copyright PlainBlack.

You mean I have to add copyright notices for YUI and TinyMCE even though
they are NOT bein included in the binary package? Do I remove the
sources for YUI and TinyMCE from the .orig.tar.gz?
--
Ernesto Hernández-Novich - Linux 2.6.18 i686 - Unix: Live free or die!
Geek by nature, Linux by choice, Debian of course.