Re: Group logo

Guy Hulbert <gwhulbert@eol.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-07 at 16:42 +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > > versa).  They are happy for you to use the logo and only object to
> > > alterations.  So juxtaposition is likely alright.
> >
> > Where does it say they are happy for us to use it like that?  Uses of
> > debian include commercial uses (DFSG 6 OTTOMH) and they don't seem to
>
> DFSG 6 refers to copyright, not trademarks (as far as I can tell):
> http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

Where is the word "copyright" in DFSG 6, or any of the DFSG?  The DFSG
are about freedoms of the software, not the individual types of law
used to remove them sometimes.

> > give any permission for that.
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/perl/usage/
>
>         We will license the camel image widely for open source products
>         and non-commercial sites related to Perl, requiring only an
>         acknowledgement of its trademark status and a link to
>         www.perl.com.
>
> Debian is "open source".  So it satisfies the conditions here, given
> that in normal English, the interpretation of "and" in 'open source
> _products_ and non-commercial _sites_' is disjunctive.

I'd assume that oreillynet.com is US English rather than English
English and I remember getting burnt by UW PINE about how these small
words are interpreted.

> So you can use
> the logo, with permission, and you can put the logo and the Debian swirl
> on a page together.  How closely you can meld them would require
> negotiation.

With permission, we can do anything, but that's not freedom.

> However, you would not be able to give end-users permission to use the
> _logo_ commercially.  Presumably, Debian does not allow their logo to be
> used for commercial purposes (unless there is no trademark on it). [...]

Why presume that?  There are two debian logos - official and open -
and the trademark and open logo are public-licensed for commercial use
(or will be, once the relicensing is complete, if it's not already).
http://www.debian.org/trademark

I prefer Gunnar Wolf's perl-code lantern poem idea to the camel.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)