Re: Group logo

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008, Guy Hulbert wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-07 at 16:42 +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > > versa).  They are happy for you to use the logo and only object to
> > > alterations.  So juxtaposition is likely alright.
> >
> > Where does it say they are happy for us to use it like that?  Uses of
> > debian include commercial uses (DFSG 6 OTTOMH) and they don't seem to
>
> DFSG 6 refers to copyright, not trademarks (as far as I can tell):
> http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

The DFSG doesn't refer to any method of protection of property
specifically. This is done on purpose.

> Debian is "open source". So it satisfies the conditions here, given
> that in normal English, the interpretation of "and" in 'open source
> _products_ and non-commercial _sites_' is disjunctive. So you can
> use the logo, with permission, and you can put the logo and the
> Debian swirl on a page together. How closely you can meld them would
> require negotiation.

Anything that we distribute in Debian in the main repository needs to
be distributable and modifiable for any purpose.

Don Armstrong

--
LEADERSHIP -- A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with
autodestructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to