Re: The difficulty or ease of packaging Perl/Python/Ruby/PHP applications

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:04:02 +0900, pabs@debian.org wrote:

> > An underscore in the version number has a special meaning on CPAN:
> > it means this is a developer release not yet ready for production.
> > I suppose the above debian package is based on
> > BDFOY/Crypt-Rijndael-1.05_01.tar.gz.
> Interesting, I wonder if dh-make-perl should automatically target such
> versions at experimental and ensure that the watch files it produces
> do not match those style of versions?

We stumbled on the topic of developer versions/underscores in watch
files 2 weeks ago: cf. around
http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2008/01/msg00126.html

This discussion also led to my commit to policy.pod with a
recommended watch file including the underscore:
http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/policy.html#debian_watch_handling

dh-make-perl at the moment allows the underscores, too:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-perl/trunk/dh-make-perl/dh-make-perl?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
(create_watch())

In my opinion it's better to have watch files that include the
developer versions because it let's us decide if we want to package
them or not; if we ignore the "_" we usually won't even see them.

OTOH, if CPAN explicitly recommends not to distribute developer
versions I don't object to changing the regexp in
dh_make_perl/policy/packagecheck.

 : :' :  debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    Warp 7 -- It's a law we can live with.