Re: The difficulty or ease of packaging Perl/Python/Ruby/PHP applications

 >> (http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/qareport.cgi).

 ajk> So please be more specific, give me a few examples that have bothered
 ajk> you and maybe we can straighten something out.

Sorry for following up to myself, I should have looked at the
aformentioned page closer. I found there:

        libcarp-clan-perl                5.9 > 5.3

This is a pilot error on the side of the owner. He removed 5.9
prematurely. Fixed by bringing it back. Bug report filed
http://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=32469

        libconfig-inihash-perl           2.9.0 > 2.8

Bug report filed to the author.

As it isn't an emergency I'm waiting if the author responds.

        libcoy-perl                      0.06 > 0.05

I have no idea about this one. The backpan has no 0.06 in Damian's
directory. search.cpan.org does not seem to know 0.06 either. Might it
be a simple typo?

        libcrypt-rijndael-perl           1.05.01 > 1.05

An underscore in the version number has a special meaning on CPAN: it
means this is a developer release not yet ready for production. I
suppose the above debian package is based on
BDFOY/Crypt-Rijndael-1.05_01.tar.gz.

You should either not package it at all or make your own version
numbering in such cases, like maybe 1.05-1

        libdate-simple-perl              3.03.03 > 3.02

Same here. You seem to take IZUT/Date-Simple-3.03_03.tar.gz although
it is not yet released in all formality. It's up to your judgement if
this is the right thing to do. CPAN cannot provide you with metadata
that help you in this decision.

        libnet-imap-simple-perl          1.17 > 1.14

Fixed by re-running the indexer. I cannot recreate the circumstances
under which the indexer failed sometime in 2006. Sorry for that, and
thanks for bringing it to my knowledge.

--
andreas