Re: The difficulty or ease of packaging Perl/Python/Ruby/PHP applications

Gabor,

On Jan 21, 2008 6:02 PM, Gabor Szabo <szabgab@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2008 9:52 PM, Martín Ferrari <martin.ferrari@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If only CPAN made it a little easier to retrieve metadata, it'd be great.
>
> Please elaborate what do you mean?
> Lack of META.yml files in some distros?
> Lack of information in the META.yml in some distros?
> Lack of information in all META.yml files?
> Which information is missing?

No, the problem is that we try to track upstream releases, and reading
the indexes provided by cpan we don't get consistent data that you
find, for example, by browsing
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Distribution.

This is not a big problem, but we suffered (and still suffer) from it,
for the development of our QA reporting tool
(http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/qareport.cgi). Of course we
could just GET search.cpan.org/dist/foo, but doing that 600 times
twice each day, would be a bit harsh :)

--
Martín Ferrari