Re: DM and pkg-perl

-=| gregor herrmann, Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 11:35:54AM +0100 |=-
> It is "wide-open" but I guess _if_ the group wants to use the DM
> status it's the only realistic way to go.
>
> What I'd like to see are statements of the active DDs of the group
> before we make this not unimportant addition to our internal policy.

I have the following concern I'd like addressed before going "wide
open".

Imagine package $P now has as Uploaders: $A and $B (non-DDs). $A gets DM
status. I am pretty confident that $A is capable of maintaining $P, so
on $A's request, I upload $P with DM: yes. $A is happy and so am I.

Next month, $B, who also maintains non-pkg-perl package $Q, gets DM
status because his sponsor is tired of uploading $Q and is pretty
confident that $B can handle $Q appropriately.

Bang! $B can upload $P too. I gave $B this right, *unintentionaly*.

Question 1: Should we worry about such scenario? I mean, if $B got DM
status, s/he already agreed to follow the policies etc. My concern with
this is that if agreeing to follow policies was enough, DMs might as
well be treated as DDs :)

Question 2: how to avoid this unintentional giving of upload rights?

My answer to this is to clean Uploaders: list before uploading $P with
DM-Yes from all non-DDs, except $A. This would mean we change our polocy
about the Uploaders: field that whoever makes a change worth noting in
changelog, adds him/herself to Uploaders. The nice thing about this
policy is that it makes the contributor feel more responsible and easier
for him/her to track his/her work via packages.qa.d.o pages. (Note that
the fact that $B contributed to $P would not be wiped, as changelog
would keep $B's entries).

So, what do you think about such approach?