Re: Debian packages for pugs and parrot

Allison Randal dijo [Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 03:27:33PM +0200]:

> How difficult would it be to set up a debian-parrot group? It would
> consist of the specific Parrot team members who have responsibility
> for packaging and uploading Parrot (understanding that each would
> need to apply as a DM). We have a similar group set up for our
> distribution uploads to CPAN. Parrot doesn't have a single
> maintainer, we rotate monthly releases between a group of
> maintainers who all have equal rights over the distribution.

It's not hard at all - Just sign up as an Alioth (our Gforge site)
user [1] and request the project to be created [2]. Of course, you
want more people already in Debian to join, to make it easier. I
cannot volunteer right now, as I'm overworked as it is... But I'm sure
you can get some people in.

About all of your group becoming DMs: It's not necessary at
all. Non-debian people can do most of the work (i.e. many of our
pkg-perl members are not DDs, and the DM concept was just introduced,
we are just starting to get used to it - up until some weeks ago the
group was mostly three DDs only. The rest of the group has commit
access to the SVN repository, and that's usually enough). Probably you
want everybody in your development group to have this access,
although not every one of them can upload to Debian. It could even be
a completely disjoint group of people! :)

> I don't want to repeat the current scenario where the disappearance
> of a single developer damages the entire project. (That's why we
> share the release manager role.)
>
> Clearly a sponsor is the best short-term solution, but it's too
> fragile for the long-term as we push toward the 1.0 release. Monthly
> uploads are too much to ask of any one sponsor or developer.

IMHO, even monthly uploads is too infrequent under some
situations... But, I insist, this should be worked on as the group
gets formed and advances. Every group has different dynamics.

[1] http://alioth.debian.org/account/register.php

[2] https://alioth.debian.org/register/projectinfo.php

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23