Re: Debian packages for pugs and parrot

Jeremiah Foster wrote:

Parrot is a bit of different beastie than the perl modules we normally
handle. But I am fairly certain someone here would be willing to help. I
am not very familiar with parrot aside from having read some articles on
PIR and seen a couple talks, but it is still a bit over my head.

Indeed. Parrot is a complete virtual machine similar to Mono or Java. As such, it's likely that Parrot will ultimately split into a few more packages than it currently has, including parrot-modules, parrot-dev, and packages for running specific languages on Parrot, such as parrot-perl6, parrot-perl5, parrot-python, parrot-ruby, etc.

But, our focus at the start will just be getting the existing packages updated to the current version of Parrot (0.5.1, released yesterday) and resolving the issues noted in your issue tracker. The next step is automating the process of producing the Debian packages, so we can generate them as part of our monthly releases.

Usually the debian maintainer is responsible for forwarding bugs, since
parrot is maintainer-less it appears that this didn't happen. I will
look into this and see if I can forward them.

Thanks, that would be helpful. We'll change the primary maintainer in the next Debian Parrot package to "Parrot Porters <parrot-porters@perl.org>" with the 6 release managers listed in "Uploaders", following the recommendation for collaborative maintenance in: <http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-collaborative-maint>

The debian perl group (debian-perl@lists.debian.org) is usually quite
helpful if you are going to package perl-related software.

Thanks for the introduction. And, to the whole group: we're looking for a Debian Developer to sponsor the Parrot Debian packages. Let us know if you have any recommendations. Someone with experience packaging a virtual machine (like Mono or Java) or interpreter (like Perl or Python) would be helpful to answer our questions as we automate the Debian packaging process.

I also have some other Debian developer contacts, so I'll ask around and see what we can come up with.

Allison