Re: Debian packages for pugs and parrot

Jeremiah Foster wrote:

That document assumes that the team "parrot-porters" is a group of
debian developers working together to maintain parrot in debian, it is a
document aimed at debian developers. However I cannot find a debian team
called "parrot-porters". I assume this is the name that the parrot
project uses for those who are porting parrot to various platforms.

What you'll want to do is have someone who is a debian developer (DD) or
debian maintainer (DM) to upload your packages into debian and have them
be the official maintainer. This is what we do in the perl group, so
when a bug report comes for one of the 300+ packages we maintain, any
one of us can fix it.

If you can't find a DD you can have someone become a DM which is a much
less time intensive process, though it obviously helps if he or she has
experience packaging for debian since they get upload rights.

In short, "teams" i.e. debian-perl are internal debian groups with
upload rights.

How difficult would it be to set up a debian-parrot group? It would consist of the specific Parrot team members who have responsibility for packaging and uploading Parrot (understanding that each would need to apply as a DM). We have a similar group set up for our distribution uploads to CPAN. Parrot doesn't have a single maintainer, we rotate monthly releases between a group of maintainers who all have equal rights over the distribution.

I don't want to repeat the current scenario where the disappearance of a single developer damages the entire project. (That's why we share the release manager role.)

Clearly a sponsor is the best short-term solution, but it's too fragile for the long-term as we push toward the 1.0 release. Monthly uploads are too much to ask of any one sponsor or developer.

Allison