RE: Debian packages for pugs and parrot

> > In short, "teams" i.e. debian-perl are internal debian groups with
> > upload rights.
>
> How difficult would it be to set up a debian-parrot group?

Not hard at all. As Martin mentioned, debian has a development machine
called alioth which hosts a GForge repository, if that is the right
word. http://alioth.debian.org/

> It would consist of the specific Parrot team members who have
> responsibility for packaging and uploading Parrot
> (understanding that each would need to apply as a DM).

As long as _someone_ in the group has upload rights that is all you
really need. Then other developers can access the resources there
through guest accounts without having to be debian developers or debian
maintainers.

>We have a similar group set up for our distribution uploads to
> CPAN. Parrot doesn't have a single maintainer, we rotate
> monthly releases between a group of maintainers who all have
> equal rights over the distribution.

Debian-perl works similarly, we have @60 - 70 members, 10 to 20 who are
active at any given time, 4 or 5 are DDs, some are on their way to being
DMs. So it is a pretty flat organization with no single point of failure
- highly available you might say. :)

> I don't want to repeat the current scenario where the
> disappearance of a single developer damages the entire
> project. (That's why we share the release manager role.)

Makes sense to me.

> Clearly a sponsor is the best short-term solution, but it's
> too fragile for the long-term as we push toward the 1.0
> release. Monthly uploads are too much to ask of any one
> sponsor or developer.

If you can find a sponsor you are well on your way. You can upload code
to alioth, package it, ping the sponsor, who can then upload it. Very
little sponsor work involved, and the more confident the sponsor becomes
in the packaging ability of the packagers, the quicker the sponsor can
give upload rights to the packagers. This would ensure that several
people knew how to get the package into debian.

	Jeremiah