Re: selecting Debian mentors for the mentor summit

On 08/08/2018 06:34 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> On 08/08/18 15:49, Lucas Kanashiro wrote:

>>> If both candidates have to be people with strong Debian experience then
>>> we end up with a situation where new people never get any momentum, so
>>> maybe we could aim to have one person who is an established contributor
>>> and one person who is from the wider community or a first time mentor.
>>> Is that a position that other people tend to agree with, or are people
>>> asking for both mentors to be strong contributors to Debian?
>> I understand that you want to give an opportunity to everybody but IMHO
>
> I am working on the assumption that everybody puts in an equal amount of
> effort as a mentor and therefore we need to try and ensure everybody has
> an equal chance to attend the summit at least once.
>
> Even if we are saying that one place has to go to somebody with wider
> Debian experience, everybody else then has an opportunity to get the
> other place.
>

>> we are talking about two different types of conferences. In one hand we
>> have conferences that create an environment to attract people, make them
>> understand what is the project and try to absorb them, those are
>> debconfs and minidebconfs for instance. In the other hand we have these
>> "external" events where there is no sentiment of Debian community but we
>> need to be there to share our knowledge and bring new ideas to the
>> project,  this mentor summit fits well here. My point is that summits
>> like this is not the best place to try to gather new contributors.
>
> Do other people feel we should look at it this way?
>
> If the people we are selecting were being invited to give talks to the
> whole conference audience then we may need to look more closely at how
> well prepared they are.
>
> In the past, it was an unconference event where people would split up
> for lots of little workshops on just about any topic that people wanted
> to propose.  This year they mentioned it will have a new format.
>
> As Olly mentioned, he will be there with another organization and there
> may be a few other Debian people there too in other roles.  I was there
> with Ganglia in 2014 but we don't have a Ganglia t-shirt so I wore my
> Debian shirt.  I think that we had 5 people in a Debian photo one year.
> So while I agree that we should make Debian experience and philosophy a
> factor for at least one candidate, I feel that it is only one of several
> factors.
>

>> For example, in the Debconf 18 I met a great GSoC mentor that had never
>> interacted with Debian community before (just in the context of GSoC)
>> and I felt that after this experience he will get more involved with
>> different areas of the project (he wanted to start packaging some
>> softwares and he is already involved in the organization of a BID for
>> the next debconfs)
>>
>> Those are just my thoughts about this subject :)
>>
> The Debian constitution[1] explicitly mentions packaging as an activity
> [...]

I do not know if you understood what I was saying... I am not arguing
that people that do not maintain packages do not worthwhile (I know the
Debian constitution). I was claiming that even mentors can be newcomers
in our project, and if want to keep them tighten to our community, a
conference such as Debconf is the right place.

Regards,
Lucas Kanashiro.