Re: selecting Debian mentors for the mentor summit

I agree to the point that we need to consider the past contributions
to Debian. These contributions might not directly be technical but
other sort too (volunteering for events, hosting mini Deb conf etc).

I agree that quantifying these things is difficult. But, we need to
have some parameters like bursary team do for DebConf.

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 12:16 PM, Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> wrote:

> On 07/08/18 21:40, Lucas Kanashiro wrote:
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> I agree with the points presented to be part of the selection algorithm
>> (maybe not in the order that you listed) but I would add something to
>> measure the candidate's contributions to Debian Project, since the
>> selected mentors will represent the project there.
>>

> Are you suggesting this for both candidates or maybe just an aim to have
> one candidate who is an established contributor or DD and the other
> candidate is arbitrary?
>
> >From a GSoC perspective, I feel that attracting good students and
> mentoring them well is a big contribution to Debian even if the mentor
> doesn't do a lot of other things.
>
> Like contributions to Debian, mentoring quality is actually hard to
> quantify though and as an admin, I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to
> rate somebody else on either contributions to Debian or mentoring skill.
>  Evaluating whether somebody attended the summit last year is easy though.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel

Pranav Jain