Re: Fully debhelper-based build infrastructure

* Rafael Laboissière <rafael@debian.org> [2018-01-12 23:43]:

* Mike Miller <mtmiller@debian.org> [2018-01-12 14:07]:

What do you think about having a clean function (as you have it now) versus a dh_octave_clean helper? Is it better to have fine grained explicit helper scripts or only when the steps become complex?

I have no strong opinion on this. For now, the action of the clean function in Buildsystem/octave.pm are pretty simple, so let us keep it like that.

I have looked deeper in this issue. In the CDBS-based infrastructure, originally implemented by octave-pkg-dev, we took care of the environment variable DEB_MAKE_CLEAN_TARGET. Three packages make currently use of this feature:

$ grep DEB_MAKE octave-*/*/debian/rules
octave-interval/octave-interval/debian/rules:DEB_MAKE_CLEAN_TARGET = -f debian/rules debian-clean
octave-nan/octave-nan/debian/rules:DEB_MAKE_CLEAN_TARGET = -f debian/rules clean-files
octave-octclip/octave-octclip/debian/rules:DEB_MAKE_CLEAN_TARGET = -C src cleanall

We msut include support for it in dh-octave. Since this will make the code in Buildsystem/octave.pm become more complex, I am planning to create a separate script called dh_octave_clean, as Mike suggested.

Now, I am wondering whether we should keep the name of the variable DEB_MAKE_CLEAN_TARGET (which is specific to CDBS) or change it to something like DH_OCTAVE_CLEAN_TARGET (what indicates that this is a dh-octave-specific variable). What do you think?