Re: Fully debhelper-based build infrastructure

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 08:43:15AM +0100, Rafael Laboissière wrote:
> I implemented a preliminary, albeit working, version of a fully
> debhelper-based infrastructure for building the Octave-Forge packages in
> Debian.  The source is at salsa.d.o:
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-octave-team/dh-octave
>
> I largely took inspiration from the code of other dh-* packages.  The design
> is pretty clean and, I hope, the code will be more understandable and
> maintainable than the code in octave-pkg-dev.
>
> The version at GitLab does not implement all the features currently present
> in octave-pkg-dev, but it works for some of the simpler packages. The
> minimal debian/rules would be like this:
>
>    #!/usr/bin/make -f
>    %:
>            dh $@ --buildsystem=octave --with=octave
>
> My intention is to create a new package called dh-octave that could coexist
> with octave-pkg-dev, so that no transition will be needed.
>
> Let me know what you think about this project.

I think it is great!

As a minor improvement, is it possible to get rid of one of the two arguments
of dh? My impression is that most dh helpers have either the --buildsystem or
the --with arguments, but not the two simultaneously. But I guess there is some
good technical reason for the current implementation.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer