Re: repo setup for git-buildpackage

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 12:34:00PM +0200, Stéphane Glondu wrote:
> So I did this using my tool, and I got this:
>
>   http://git.debian.org/?p=users/glondu-guest/test/approx.git
>
> Please check it out (and have a look with gitk). Basically, there is an
> "upstream" branch with all changes to anything but debian/, and a
> "master" branch with all changes, including those with debian/. Changes
> from upstream are merged from the upstream branch. All tags are debian/n
> ones. As it is, the upstream branch should be suitable for future
> upstream development, and the master branch should be suitable for
> Debian-related one.

Thank you very much, Stéphane.  That looks much better than my
attempt, so I've copied it to the official (pkg-ocaml-maint/packages)
location and will push further development there.  Feel free to remove
your test/ copy.

Now, can someone explain the benefit to using pristine-tar in this
situation?  The repo has the upstream source, and git-buildpackage can
build the orig.tar.gz from it, so where does pristine-tar come in?
I'm sure I'm missing something very basic ...