Re: patch management with git

Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jul  9, 2008 at 09:34:05 +0200, Rémi Vanicat wrote:
>
>> 2008/7/9 Sylvain Le Gall <gildor@debian.org>:
>>
>> > I am probably a bit old school, but i really like having only debian/ in
>> > .diff.gz.
>> >
>> > Having patches in quilt/dpatch/'whatever you want' but in debian/patches
>> > is a good practice to me. IMHO, it helps send these patches to upstream
>>
>> Topic branch with git solve this very same problem, one can easily
>> extract the path with
>>
>> git diff topic-branch upstream
>>
> That doesn't give any comment/rationale together with the patch, which I
> think is a benefit of keeping them in debian/patches/.  I've never
> actually used topic branches, though, so maybe I'm missing
> something.

Well, The truth is that I use git format-patch that will prepare a
series of emails : one for each commit of the branch.

> I think it's possible to use some scripting around
> git-quiltimport/git-formatpatch to keep patches in debian/patches/ and
> use git to work on them.  Didn't try that, though, so I don't know if
> that would be a good workflow.

One difficulties with this if evolving patch: git format-patch
generate one patch by git commit, when some of the commit are new
patches when other are modification of old patches. At least to use
topic branch render this clearer (one patch ~ one branch)
--
Rémi Vanicat