Re: patch management with git

On Wed, Jul  9, 2008 at 09:34:05 +0200, Rémi Vanicat wrote:

> 2008/7/9 Sylvain Le Gall <gildor@debian.org>:
>
> > I am probably a bit old school, but i really like having only debian/ in
> > .diff.gz.
> >
> > Having patches in quilt/dpatch/'whatever you want' but in debian/patches
> > is a good practice to me. IMHO, it helps send these patches to upstream
>
> Topic branch with git solve this very same problem, one can easily
> extract the path with
>
> git diff topic-branch upstream

That doesn't give any comment/rationale together with the patch, which I
think is a benefit of keeping them in debian/patches/.  I've never
actually used topic branches, though, so maybe I'm missing something.

I think it's possible to use some scripting around
git-quiltimport/git-formatpatch to keep patches in debian/patches/ and
use git to work on them.  Didn't try that, though, so I don't know if
that would be a good workflow.

Cheers,
Julien