ocamlduce licence (was: removal of the ocaml-source binary package)

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 08:27:19AM +1000, skaller wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 19:59 +0200, Ralf Treinen wrote:
>
> > The problem with ocamlduce is that it is under QPL licence. And we
> > cetainly do not want to package libraries which are distributed
> > (exclusively) under this licence.
>
> Ocamlduce isn't a library, it's a tool -- with the same
> licence for its source as Ocaml.

It also provides a library. In fact I had just last week a request
from an upstream author to package his software (which he intended to
licence under GPL). Unfortunately, he used the ocamlduce library. He
says that since he had been basing his project on ocamlduce from the start
it would be dificult to switch to something else now.  He wasn't aware
of this licence problem, just trusting that he could use for his project
any libraries that were available in his working environment.

That is exactly why I oppose to having this stuff in debian unless
they change the licence. The difference with ocaml is that libraries and
runtime system are LGPL, hence one can use ocaml for one's project and still
release under GPL.

-Ralf.