Re: what's the right way to auto-create debian/control?

Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 06:47:39PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:

The canonical way is naturally debian/control for target, as the rule creates
this file. This is being used all over (parted, kernel, etc), so i believe it
is the sane one to chose.

@OCamlABI@ can need to be substituted in more files than simply
debian/control. In the packages I've already ported to 3.09 for example
I had the need to substitute it many times in .dirs files and sometimes
in .files files.

Thus I did something like the following in all packages of mine:

  OCAMLABI := $(shell ocamlc -version)
  OFILES := $(patsubst %.in,%,$(shell ls debian/*.in))
  ocamlinit:
    for f in $(OFILES); do sed -e 's/@OCamlABI@/$(OCAMLABI)/g' $$f.in > $$f; done

I consistenly used "ocamlinit" target in all packages of mine, if you
like it we can recommend it.

Wouldn't it be possible to put these lines in a file (/usr/share/ocaml/autocontrol.make for example) in the package ocaml in order to be able to do this by just an include of this file in the rules?

Cheers,

Sam.