what's the right way to auto-create debian/control?

I've added a rule that creates control from control.in using sed.  But
when should that rule be invoked?  If I try to make my "build" target
depend on debian/control, it doesn't work, because debuild calls
dpkg-checkbuilddeps before this gets run.

I see some of Zack's packages have an ocamlinit target.  When does
"debian/rules ocamlinit" happen?

Or should the generated debian/control file be left around (and
checked into svn?) In which case, someone has to manually regenerate
the control files when the OCaml ABI changes?