Re: what's the right way to auto-create debian/control?

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 10:29:24AM -0500, Eric Cooper wrote:
> I've added a rule that creates control from control.in using sed.  But
> when should that rule be invoked?  If I try to make my "build" target
> depend on debian/control, it doesn't work, because debuild calls
> dpkg-checkbuilddeps before this gets run.
>
> I see some of Zack's packages have an ocamlinit target.  When does
> "debian/rules ocamlinit" happen?
>
> Or should the generated debian/control file be left around (and
> checked into svn?) In which case, someone has to manually regenerate
> the control files when the OCaml ABI changes?

debian/control should *NOT* be generated automatically at run time, it should
only happen before uploading the package. That is the uploaded source package
should have a control, not only the control.in.

This is indeed, as you noted, because policy mandates no modification of the
build-depends at build time, and since we want to modify build-depends, we
have to call debian/rules debian/control ourself before actually building the
packages.

The linux-2.6 kernel packages do so also, in a much grander scale.

Also, i have been thinking about expanding this for native arches, to have
ocaml provide a native-arch-list, and have it be expanded at debian/control
generation time.