Re: ocaml and lindows.com

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 09:57:50PM +0100, Sylvain LE GALL wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > Well, i have begun work on a little source snapshot tool (it takes a
> > given list of binary packages and version, transform them to source
> > version, and should go download the corresponding sources at
> > snapshot.debian.org, but i didn't finish it). Goswin also has some ocaml
> > tools for making debian mirrors, or something such. There is also ara in
> > the archive, altough i don't remember who wrote it.
> >
> > Maybe it is time for writing a common ocaml library for interaction with
> > ocaml packages list and such, should not be all that difficult, but
> > would beat having everyone implement their own version of it.
> >

> Take a look at pkg-ocaml-maint/dh-make-ocaml/lib. I think you should
> like PackageName for example which try to guess package type from name (
> or to fetch it from a little DB ). It also includes type
> OcamlBaseVPackage OcamlVPackage...

Mmm, i think what i was working on was a bit different (parsing the
Packages file, getting the source from the binary, getting the right
version from snapshot.debian.org), but it is complementary, i will
decidely look into this.

> I also have think to it ;-> Great idea, but need a lot of time.

But, like Tolkien said, it is the first step which starts long journeys
(well not exactly that way, but still).