Re: Prototype package for native/byte splitting

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 11:53:45AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 06:42:47PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Mmm, take it easy, it is just a recompile anyway, other (err, me) could
> > do it for you if there is need.
>
> Ok, I plan to do the rebuilding this weekend, though.

Ok, ...

Is everyone else ready for rebuilding stuff (mostly libraries) this
weekend ? If yes, i will upload a new ocaml tomorrow, anyway, in time
for it to reach the archive this weekend and that everyone can do the
rebuilding with it. (and changing the virtual dependencies to
ocaml-3.06-1 and ocaml-base-3.06-1)

If someone has problems with it, tell me (with a list of the packages)
and i will do NMU of them.

BTW, stefano, are you ready with your .CMI dependency document, so i can
add all of it in ocaml 3.06-13, with the other policy changes ?

> Regarding the native/byte splitting (hoping that we will reach an
> agreement on it) could we use spamoracle as a best packaging practice
> for it?

Yes, altough the changes are really minimal, as i said in the other mail
to jerome. I used spamoracle to test the stuff, tried it on a private
repository, like i said i would, with only the spamoracle-byte
available or with both of them, then uploaded them.

I plan to write a nice entry in the policy document with explanation and
other such, though.

The only possible issue is if a package has a versioned dependency on
one of the apps. This can be solved either by using a
virtual-package-providing-the-version, as we are now used to doing, or
by fixing dpkg so it knows about virtual versioned dependencies.

If i had time, i would do the second, not that i am very happy at the
thought of looking at the dpkg code though.