Re: task packages ???

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 01:31:06AM -0800, Randolph Chung wrote:
> > Anyway, it was suggested that i use tasksel to add tasks, and that i should
> > simply add the correct task files, and do an NMU about it.
> >
> > Before doing such, i want your advice on the question, in order to not mess
> > things up, and to be sure if this is the rigth thing to do.
>
> Why NMU?

Don't know, i asked on debian-mentors, and was responded that, or maybe it was
the changelog which suggested that.

> 'apt-get source tasksel' and look at the README inside the tasks subdir
> for the format of the file; or you can see the cvs version at:

Yes, i did that, looked a bit and experimented ...

Basically, the file is easy to write, but a few questions appear ...

Well, the README speaks about :

 a) task-package (i guess these are obsolet, or maybe i am wrong)
 b) the files in the tasks subdir, which go to the
    /usr/share/tasksel/debian... file, but this don't include package name
    list
 c) the Task: header in /var/lib/dpkg/available.

I guess i could just provide a task file without package list, and then upload
the wanted packages with the propper Task: line set, or maybe have a basic set
of packages in the task file, and enhance it later one with the Task: keyword
in the package control file ?

I had another question, but don't remmeber.

mmm, also you could imagine splitting the tasksel package into the GUI and the
package containing the task files, since i guess you don't really need to
rebuild tasksel each time you add an entry.

Also, a little mention of it in the developper references, or elsewhere
(accesible) in the developper conrer would help a lot, i did some searching,
and found nothing about it.

> http://cvs.debian.org/~checkout~/tasksel/tasks/README?rev=1.3&content-type=text/plain
>
> Send a ocaml task file to the bts as a wishlist bug against tasksel and
> we'll work it from there.

Ok, will do, basically, it goes as this :

Task: ocaml
Section: devel
 This task installs packages and documentation related to running ocaml.
Packages:
 ocaml
 ocaml-doc
 ocaml-tools
 ledit
 camlp4,
 camlp4-doc
 ocaml-findlib
 camlidl
 camlidl-doc
 ocamlweb
 tuareg-mode
# the later may go into a second package, but i am not sure this is wise
 camlzip
 ocaml-netclient
 ocaml-netstring
 ocaml-pxp
 ocaml-shell
 ocaml-xstr
 ocamltk
 lablgl
 lablgtk
 lablgtkmathview
 mlminidom
 libxlib-ocaml

We are still discussing this on the debian-ocaml-maint mailing list.

BTW, is it better to do 2 tasks, one for the base stuff, the other for
additional libraries, maybe not separated as above, or one lone big task, in
order to not confuse the users ?

> I will point out that the standard we use for including a task is that
> it will be used by >10% of Debian's general user base.

mmm, tricky thing here, how do you hope to discriminate between the tasks ? Do
you have some kind of statistic on usage, or count downloads or something such ?

In our case, i am not entirely sure we comply with the 10% of general user
base, since it is a developpment task for a language, that altough nice and
modern, may not still be very well known, to have 10 % of people using it, but
then, i have no way to know, there are various users i know about, and i get
reports on the use of it, but this don't permit me to be sure that there are
10% of users, potential users maybe. That said, ocaml is teached in most 1st
year universities in france, so this may account for many persons, altough
they are not all debian users.

Also are you sure there are 10% C developper using debian ?
or even that 10% of debian users are python developers ?

And in case you reject the task, what should we do ? Provide an old style meta
package ?

Thanks for your quick reply, ...