Re: on ocaml-extra-libs

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 04:13:33PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 01:00:02PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > he just install the libABC package, and then installs his own version of libC
> > in either /usr/local, if he has root privilege, or $(HOME).
> >
> > Then he would have to tell his build system to look in $(HOME) or /usr/local
> > for the libraries before he looks in /usr.
> >
> > Now, i don't know if this is feasible with the current state of findlib and/or
> > the upstream released ocaml 3.01. I guess it is possible, but not cleanly.
>
> Currently I think this is not possibile cause ocamlfind look in the
> predefined sarch path and in OCAMLPATH path and this is good, but I
> don't know how it work if, for example, i find two different versione of
> the same package ? (but I will ask gerd on this, I will also ask gerd to
> subscribe this ML :-)
> With your experience, is ocamlfind capable of handle different version

I thought this was on his TODO list or at least his wishlist from our last
discution.

> of the same package ? (the documentation says nothing about this
> feature)
>
> > yes, but it would work with a OCAMLFIND var set to ocamlfind --dummy or
> > somethign such, was this not the result of the discution we had lately ?
>
> but where you want to put the dummy ocamlfind ?

No, i was wronghere, sorry, ...

i remembver now, what we agreed upon is :

Packages that use findlib will need to have findlib as Build-depend. It is
needed to build the library, not to actually use it.

All other Packages will register themself with findlib, either with the
ocamlfind program (if they build-depend on findlib already) or some shell
script doing this work, or some other stuff.

The only solution for doing packages that depend on findlib without findlib,
would be if findlib was able to pre-process the Makefile and produce a findlib
free Makefile. This is much similar in the way the auto-configure/auto_make
stuff is handled.

It is a upstream TODO item though, so in the meantime just use findlib for the
libraries that need them. libraries that don't use findlib will not be built
with it, but still register themselves with findlib. (in a way similar to the
emacsen stuff, see Ralf's patch to the ocaml package for detail).

> in ocaml I guess...

See above, ...

> > But again, it is only a goal toward which it would be nice to tend, and i
> > don't know if it is already possible or not. I had the impression it would be
> > possible though.
>
> yes, my point of view is still the _current_ one.
> I agree with you on the future goals.

:)))

> > And remember you are the maintainer of both findlib and the other packages you
> > speak about. It is your decision that will import the most :)))
>
> Yes but I'm at my first experiences with both debian packaging and most
> of the ocaml tools I'm packaging, so I really need your help :-)))

:)))

> Is really an heavy charge for a novice like me ... :-))))

No problem, i just wish everything will be tidied up before the freeze ...