Re: on ocaml-extra-libs

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 09:28:52AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> I not agree with the build of an 'ocaml-extra-libs' package, I prefer
> keep the packages separated.
> This is only for the reason of the finer dependencies control we may
> obtain keeping them separeted.

Yes, but load of very small packages are a problem, i guess you will see way

> Another reason is that a user may want to install only one library of
> the bounce provided by ocaml-extra-libs and use another version of a
> library provided in the same package (this is possibile and easy with
> findlib).

Erm, did we not have this discution during the findlib thread ?

you install the official packages in /usr/lib/ocaml or any subdir thereof.

you install the sitewide unofficial libraries in /usr/local/lib/ocaml.

you install the personal libraries (especially if you don't have root
privilege) in ~/lib/ocaml or wherever.

Then you can choose to either use priority home-> local -> official, or
somethign else, or better yet have some more fine grained selection.

this is the standard unix way of doing things, is (at least the 2 first
points) FHS and debian policy.

But note, i don't know if either findlib or when not using findlib, you can
easily do this, but this is the correct way of doing things, please try to
stick to it as much as you possible.

(but then, please tell me if i am just being stupid about this)

> Another point of interest: ok, it's better to keep optionally the
> dependencies on ocaml-findlib, but in doing this we have to fork the
> installation methods on the makefiles.

Sure, ...

No, wait, did we not discuss that there would be an empty findlib wrapper or
something such, and that just placing the FINDLIB make variable to empty it
would work fine, or somethign such ?

> For now I can only build netstring and pxp package depending on
> ocaml-findlib, in future ....

no problem, like said, we have to conform to a futur goal, and in the
meantime, things may not be perfect yet. Just don't forget the goal.

> Better if the various modules provides natively the two possible
> installation, now all the package from ocaml-programmind.de _require_
> ocaml-findlib for installation.

See above ...

> This is why we start packaging ocaml-findlib some times ago.

Frendly,