Re: on ocaml-extra-libs

> I not agree with the build of an 'ocaml-extra-libs' package, I prefer
> keep the packages separated.

OK, I understand your point (and to some extent, I agree with you)
Size of packages may or may not be a question, rigth. But, in fact I
have another point in my mind which I didn't express before...
One argument to gather some libs together is "curiosity" !!
This one way to "explore" the functionalities of the *programming
language* Ocaml.
First provide an easy way to download (interesting) libraries
After that, note that it is often the case that Ocaml stuff is not fully
developed (question of time and human ressources), having the knowledge
of existing (and perfectible) and available stuff may be a first step
before contributing and adding new functionnalities ...

If a library become more actively supported then it may also become
a separated package...
(Recall that providing debs is the front goal, the hidden goal is to
enlarge the use of OCaml as a programming language so we have to provide
some "funny" stuff...
I'm thinking of svgalib, there are little X games around, there is also
an OCamlSDL task running ...)

Avoiding me to write two separate mails, may I take the place to write
some words about how I "see" the place of ocaml-findlib :

> installation, now all the package from ocaml-programmind.de _require_
> ocaml-findlib for installation.
> This is why we start packaging ocaml-findlib some times ago.
This is exactly what bothers me in the findlib story.
a) findlib is a good tool :
	Well, I don't know, I don't use it (and have bad experiences when
trying to install it but that's another question)
	Packaging findlib ?? Why not, this can be the way to see if it is
really so nice ...

b) package at ocaml.programming.de are also good
	Sure! (as an example, today, XML parsing is a mandatory goal)
	But, since I don't have findlib installed ............

c) what I do not "accept" (from an "intellectual" point of view) is the
fact that installing pxp requires installing findlib ... what's the
relationship between XML parsing and OCaml packages management ?
So, I can't see any reason preventing users, who don't want findlib, to
switch it off...
It would be nice to get PXP (or whatever) without findlib, but if
findlib is available on the target Debian boxe, then PXP (or whatever)
registers itself in the database ...
(just think at findlib like at our "dh_install_ocaml_deb" ?? )

Yes, this is not really a debian packaging question ...

Georges
(who's sticked at home after a bug in his wife's car, may be a
dpkg-reconfigure is needed...)