Re: tuareg et/ou ocaml-dev ?

itz> Er, _alternatives_, not diversions, is the proper mechanism for
itz> this.  I am not a Debian maintainer (yet), but I seem to know a
itz> bit more about the system than some official maintainers :(

Sven> Sorry, i never used that stuff, ...
Sven>
Sven> but i guess you are right, it should be alternatives, and i am
Sven> sure, if both can be installed at the same time, it would be
Sven> best to have both installed at the same time.

Ralf> Using the alternatives mechanism implies that the system
Ralf> administrator has to decide between two alternatives (caml-mode
Ralf> or tuareg-mode), and we probably want to leave this decision to
Ralf> the user.

Ralf> But why make things so complicated? caml-mode and tuareg-mode
Ralf> can perfectly co-exist on one machine, and the names of the
Ralf> modes are different. One user might set in his .emacs

Ralf> (setq auto-mode-alist
Ralf>               (cons '("\\.ml[iylp]?$" . caml-mode) auto-mode-alist))

Ralf> and the other might set in his .emacs

Ralf> (setq auto-mode-alist
Ralf>               (cons '("\\.ml[iylp]?$" . tuareg-mode) auto-mode-alist))

Ralf> No big deal. We might even have the first as default, and have
Ralf> in the README.Debian of tuareg instructions what the user should
Ralf> do to start automatically the caml mode of his choice.

Ralf> BTW: ocaml should install an emacs startup file that defines
Ralf> which file to load when the user invokes "caml-mode". This will
Ralf> be another wish-list bug for Sven :-)

In which case tuareg had better not do the same - exactly my point.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
EngSoc adopts market economy: cheap is wasteful, efficient is expensive.