Re: tuareg et/ou ocaml-dev ?

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 07:00:41PM -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> itz> Er, _alternatives_, not diversions, is the proper mechanism for
> itz> this.  I am not a Debian maintainer (yet), but I seem to know a
> itz> bit more about the system than some official maintainers :(
>
> Sven> Sorry, i never used that stuff, ...
> Sven>
> Sven> but i guess you are right, it should be alternatives, and i am
> Sven> sure, if both can be installed at the same time, it would be
> Sven> best to have both installed at the same time.
>
> Ralf> Using the alternatives mechanism implies that the system
> Ralf> administrator has to decide between two alternatives (caml-mode
> Ralf> or tuareg-mode), and we probably want to leave this decision to
> Ralf> the user.
>
> Ralf> But why make things so complicated? caml-mode and tuareg-mode
> Ralf> can perfectly co-exist on one machine, and the names of the
> Ralf> modes are different. One user might set in his .emacs
>
> Ralf> (setq auto-mode-alist
> Ralf>               (cons '("\\.ml[iylp]?$" . caml-mode) auto-mode-alist))
>
> Ralf> and the other might set in his .emacs
>
> Ralf> (setq auto-mode-alist
> Ralf>               (cons '("\\.ml[iylp]?$" . tuareg-mode) auto-mode-alist))
>
> Ralf> No big deal. We might even have the first as default, and have
> Ralf> in the README.Debian of tuareg instructions what the user should
> Ralf> do to start automatically the caml mode of his choice.
>
> Ralf> BTW: ocaml should install an emacs startup file that defines
> Ralf> which file to load when the user invokes "caml-mode". This will
> Ralf> be another wish-list bug for Sven :-)
>
> In which case tuareg had better not do the same - exactly my point.

Hello, ...

since i am no emacs guy, i am deeply lost here, please submit patches as to
what exactly to do here.

BTW, ralf, we could have ocaml install everything so that it proposes to use
ocaml-mode by default, and have ocaml-utils propose to switch that to
tuareg-mode, either system wide , or user wide (don't know if this is
possible) or at least tell the user what to do to make use of it.