Re: debian packaging of findlib

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 07:12:14PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 01:48:12PM +0100, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > > I don't see the problem resulting from a deferred installation of findlib.
> > > Every package that wants to be findlib-compliant can install a META file for
> > > itself, and if findlib is installed later it will find all that already
> > > existing METAs. There is no way to generate META by a generic method for
> > > debian packages that do not provide it.
> >
> > Ok, so each package that want to support findlib has to provide the correct
> > META file. mmm, ...
> Sorry Sven, what is the matter ?, I can't understand.
> Modules that have a META file use findlib and install themselves with
> other findlib modules, other do not use findlib facility.

The idea is to provide a way for the findlib users to be able to use even
those modules not supporting findlib upstream. And that the modules using
findlib do the right thing when installing, or maybe even don't need findlib
at install time, don't know.

> Actually the largest ocaml modules archive that I know is the same where
> I find findlib, and pretty all of these modules use findlib, right Gerd?

Yes, but i think there is non of that in most already existing debian
packages. not in lablgtk/lablGL/mlgtk at least, and i guess it is the same
with the other INRIA originating stuff.

> Don't forget that debianization of ocaml modules is near zero in

Not so, all stuff i use is a debian package :)))

> progression, we can so think of adding 'findlib' as a requirement to
> debianization of other ocaml modules.

Well, the idea is not to force people to use findlib, ...

> BTW I agree with Gerd regarding installation dir, IMHO is better to have
> a dir with findlib modules and another dir with 'normal' ocaml modules.

I don't agree here, we need a dir for ocaml stuff coming out of debian package
that conform to what we are deciding here.  These go into
/usr/lib/ocaml/package-name. Since if we decide to add support for findlib in
all debian packages, well, there is no need to put them in findlib, and this
forces people who are not using findlib to do something like : (in the
simplified 3.01 syntax)

ocamlc +site-lib/package-name +lablgtk ...

instead of

ocamlc +package-name +lablgtk ...

and i guess the not findlib using developper don't want to care about if a
given package is using findlib or not.

That said, the modules installed by hand by the user, who are not from ocaml
packages, will go into /usr/local/ocaml/site-lib, or something such, because
the /usr/local is the only place which is not reserved for the dbeian
packaging system, together with the home directories also. So a third option
would be to install without being root into : $HOME/ocaml/site-lib.

and findlib would need to be aware of the three places, with some priority
applying (maybe first $HOME, then /usr/local, then official debian packages).
This would need the help of Gerd though, and a central configuration tool.

BTW, (for GERD too) please understand that i am stating here a, maybe
longterm, goal for what could be seen as a standard for debian/ocaml packaging
with findlib. This may maybe not all come at once or some may never come at
all, but it would be nice if we could achieve that.

> Also perl modules under debian use a bounce of different target
> directory ...

Yes, but perl is not ocaml.

That said i hope we understand each other, and i am not talking into
installing directly in /usr/lib/ocaml (like mlgtk does) but in
/usr/lib/ocaml/<package-name> (like lablgtk anc co does).

What do you (all) think of it ?

Friendly,

Svne Luther