Re: debian packaging of findlib

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 01:48:12PM +0100, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > Currently, I draw the following conclusions from our discussion:
yeaa !!! finally the conclusions ! :)))
> > - findlib needs a configuration file specifying the search path and the default
> >   installation directory
>
> Yes, this is somethign we agree on, i think it would have been done ever if we
> never had this conversation.
ok Sven, but we haven't yes an answer from Gerd, is possibile to add
this feature ?

> > - the installation method needs a way to specify an alternate target directory
>
> Yes, and ideally, a conventional install target, is it possible to
> 'pre-process' the ocamlfind stuff, in a way similar to how the
> autmoake/autoconf stuff work ?
This not really important, sure better, but not mandatory.
We do better by working step by step ...

> > I don't see the problem resulting from a deferred installation of findlib.
> > Every package that wants to be findlib-compliant can install a META file for
> > itself, and if findlib is installed later it will find all that already
> > existing METAs. There is no way to generate META by a generic method for
> > debian packages that do not provide it.
>
> Ok, so each package that want to support findlib has to provide the correct
> META file. mmm, ...
Sorry Sven, what is the matter ?, I can't understand.
Modules that have a META file use findlib and install themselves with
other findlib modules, other do not use findlib facility.
Actually the largest ocaml modules archive that I know is the same where
I find findlib, and pretty all of these modules use findlib, right Gerd?
Don't forget that debianization of ocaml modules is near zero in
progression, we can so think of adding 'findlib' as a requirement to
debianization of other ocaml modules.

BTW I agree with Gerd regarding installation dir, IMHO is better to have
a dir with findlib modules and another dir with 'normal' ocaml modules.
Also perl modules under debian use a bounce of different target
directory ...

--
	- Zack -

Stefano Zacchiroli <zacchiro@cs.unibo.it> ICQ# 33538863
Home Page: http://www.students.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
Undergraduate Student of Computer Science at University of Bologna, Italy
SysAdm of verdicchio.students.cs.unibo.it (130.136.3.134)
	"Information wants to be Open"