Re: xstr e netclient deb packages

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 04:46:08PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 04:33:25PM +0100, Claudio Sacerdoti Coen wrote:
> >  In fact, I think that findlib is a very good and useful tool
> >  and that installing debian packages without using findlib means
> >  loosing the possibility of writing easy Makefile.
> I fully agree with this idea, I indeed want to package findlib for
> first.
>
> But ... there is a subtle question ...
> In a debian system ocamlfindlib has a 'politically correct' use for
> installations only in debianization process.
> This because 'ocamlfindlib install' use as target dir
> /usr/lib/ocaml/site-lib and is wrong to hand install package in that dir
> in a debian system.
>
> Is this a valid reason to not use findlib ?
> IMHO it is not, but I would ear opinion of some debian guru ...

Like said, (maybe you have not read my other mails yet) The main problem is
that when building a debian package, the installed stuff does not go into
/usr/lib/ocaml/site-lib (or wherever, and if you are using fakeroot, you will
not even have right to do it), but into
<wherever_you_are_building_your_package>/debian/package-name/usr/lib/ocaml/site-lib.

Until finldib is able to do that, and then register the installed stuff once
the package is installed, it is not ok to use it for debian packages.

Also another concern for all of you using it, is that on a debian system, only
/usr/local and the /home directories are trully in the hand of the user, the
rest is reserved for the sole use of debian.

So a debianized findlib would need to be able to have standard debina packages
in /usr/lib/ocaml/site-lib, and non-debianized installed packages into
/usr/local/lib/ocaml/site-lib, and be able to andle both of them.