Re: IRC Meeting Summary/Log and some other things

On Saturday, August 16, 2003, at 10:16 AM, Gianluca Nigro wrote:

My vision is as the following: the NPO has already one or more PC (likely with windows), it adds our Debian-NP server to the local network and start to get used to having a penguin in the office... in due time it can switch also the
desktops...

Is anyone considering the common model for small non-profits where many of the information workers are volunteers using their own computer equipment? (Treasurer being a very common instance.)

In this case there's a real problem when -- every few years -- the person occupying a position changes and it's necessary to move data and find a compatible application on a different volunteer's system. To help this kind of organization, is it possible to specify a set of applications that can exist on an NPO-controlled Linux server, but may be accessed from any browser. It would be nice to sell these people on the advantages of the organization taking ownership of its own data.

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714