Re: Helen Koike: Declaration of intent

[ Dropping Helen's archives, as this mail is quite "meta" ]

On Fri, Aug 03, 2018 at 01:45:48PM +0800, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:
> Thanks Mattia for bringing your concerns (once more :-). Not everyone
> wants to publicly express their worries on particular nm processes,
> maybe to not to sound rude or offensive to our dear new applicants, who
> are obviously in a more 'vulnerable' position at the moment they express
> their wishes to be publicly recognized as (potential) Debian members.

This is indeed one reason I'm doing it.  I often pondered whether to do
it in public or in private, but turns out that most of the time is
indeed some misunderstanding, like in this case, so having everything in
public is IMHO a good thing.

> A few times I've also felt some discomfort with some applicantions, but
> due to some dificulty on chosing my words (in a non-native language) I
> decided just to let it go...

Remember that in the nm.d.o website there is a field for comments, that
also let people leave confidential comments that are read only by FD.  I
can't talk for everybody, but I at least would like to know if anybody
has concerns on a particular applicant.
I'm personally sad to admit that in past when I shared my concerns in
this mail list I felt mostly ignored, when all it would have takes were
some clarifications on the applications...

>  "...please tell something about yourself, how you came to Debian and Free
>  Software, and why you want to volunteer your time. Please describe the
>  contributions you have made to Debian, your primary areas of interest
>  and any goals you wish to accomplish."

Indeed one of the reason I couldn't understand this Helen's application
was because of her quite terse introduction...

> For instance, here is a recent statement that I think has room for
> improvement:
>
>  "As a member of DebConf18 orga team, I has seem Taowa working in Front
>  Desk.  Because of his hard work, people can get room key, dorm card, AC
>  card without any problem. Also for local team, we can trust him to track
>  all dorm card in wafer so that we don't lost any of them."
>
> Although I personally think Taowa has a great potential to become a
> valuable Debian member, I'd rather avoid an advocating text that only
> points his work on a particular Debconf. This has a great potential to
> create noise.

I pretty much ignored such advocacy.  Handing out keys is surely
respectable but hardly enough to be project members...
When the dd_nu concept was introduced one reason that was brought on the
table was to recognize people like the DebConf contributors that would
otherwise not be mentioned anywhere.  With Taowa being a member of DC17
and DC18 that was good enough for me to go ahead without much blinking.
As advocacies go, Holger's words were more "useful" than Hector's or
ChangZhuo's, despite not being formally sent through the website.

> Regarding Helen's case, I've never worked directly with her, but I've
> seen that she has a long term involvement in Debian. I can atest her
> contributions on mentoring, helping with events, giving talks about
> Debian and I'm happy to have had here in DC18 very good references about
> her on the technical side as well.

Worry not anymore, I'm not blocking her process! :)
My doubts about Helen dissipated, so I'm not concerned anymore.
Also, despite what some people seem to believe I didn't start this
discussion with the direct goal of blocking her (nor with any other
applicant in the past) but to rather understand better the situation.
(OK, I did block Helen's DM application because that was totally odd for
me and didn't make sense, and indeed it was not the correct course of
action, as this discussion proved).

Let me look for an AM now....

--
regards,