Re: Helen Koike: Declaration of intent

Hi,

Thanks Mattia for bringing your concerns (once more :-). Not everyone
wants to publicly express their worries on particular nm processes,
maybe to not to sound rude or offensive to our dear new applicants, who
are obviously in a more 'vulnerable' position at the moment they express
their wishes to be publicly recognized as (potential) Debian members.

A few times I've also felt some discomfort with some applicantions, but
due to some dificulty on chosing my words (in a non-native language) I
decided just to let it go... I have noticed however that most of time
things are clarified by the mentors/advocats without further discussion,
nor objections. This mean that if the original applicant/mentors text
were more precise if could have avoided concerns and the consequent
tension that it brings on the applicants side. I don't know how to fix
it, apart to reinforce what's is already stated on the NM form:

 "...please tell something about yourself, how you came to Debian and Free
 Software, and why you want to volunteer your time. Please describe the
 contributions you have made to Debian, your primary areas of interest
 and any goals you wish to accomplish."

For instance, here is a recent statement that I think has room for
improvement:

 "As a member of DebConf18 orga team, I has seem Taowa working in Front
 Desk.  Because of his hard work, people can get room key, dorm card, AC
 card without any problem. Also for local team, we can trust him to track
 all dorm card in wafer so that we don't lost any of them."

Although I personally think Taowa has a great potential to become a
valuable Debian member, I'd rather avoid an advocating text that only
points his work on a particular Debconf. This has a great potential to
create noise.

Regarding Helen's case, I've never worked directly with her, but I've
seen that she has a long term involvement in Debian. I can atest her
contributions on mentoring, helping with events, giving talks about
Debian and I'm happy to have had here in DC18 very good references about
her on the technical side as well.

Bests,

--
tiago