Re: Helen Koike: Declaration of intent

[ CCing also Helen's other application as DM ]

On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 08:01:52AM -0000, Helen Koike wrote:
> I would like to apply to change my status in Debian to Debian Developer non uploader.
>
> I've been working for secure boot with the efi team and also with the cloud team for official Debian images.
> I believe as a DD I can get a wider access to the project and the ability to contribute even more.
>
> I had applied to DM before but I am actually not maintaining any packages yet, as the work I've been doing is
> mostly related to infrastructure/services/testing and not packaging, I need to become a DD to have access
> to certain machines, mainly for the debian-cloud image build process. So I believe a DD non-uploadler would be
> more appropriated then a DM.

Have you considered asking for a guest account?
If you only need access to _certain_ machines, that's quite the easy
scapegoat.  Also, it could be granted pretty much instantly.

I was also looking at your DM application indeed, but I consider that
pattern "I believe as [more power level] I [could do something]" is a
dangerous train of thought.  You shouldn't be asking for something
because probably maybe at some point it might be handy; rather, you
should be trying to do something and see that you are blocked to do that
thing, or maybe have done so many things by going through somebody (i.e.
sent a relevant ton of good patches) to gain trust.

You say "mainly for the debian-cloud image build process".  I don't know
how that's done.  If it's about code, I trust the code is public and you
could replicate it, same I hope for the build logs of those build
processes; so is there anything blocking you?  Note that I totally
believe already that having access to all the relevant machines is more
handy, but I'd like to understand what's the problem.
Also in the context of allowing more external contributors: if
something like that requires any contributors to be able to ssh to a
.d.o machine, than that's something that ought to be fixed.

Furthermore, looking at
https://contributors.debian.org/contributor/koike-guest@alioth/ I can
see only contributions to bugs.d.o,
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?correspondent=helen.fornazier@gmail.com&archive=both
lists only 5 bugs.  Personally I consider somebody that interacted with
only 5 bugs in the bts to not have enough knowledge of the bts to be
neither DM nor DD (but that's could easily be just me!).

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :