Re: Revoking NM application due to inactivity from Debian

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 12:32:38PM +0200, Bart Martens wrote:

> > and basically
> > <strong>NOTHING</strong> happened so far. Therefore I have strong doubt that
> > there will be any progress soon.
> > As you can see really nothing happened until
> My impression is that Front Desk has
> - recorded that you contribute by maintaining buildd.net,
> - decided that you don't need an AM for this kind of contributions,
> - forwarded your application to DAM for approval.

No, Frontdesk asked DAM because it makes no sense to proceed with assigning
an AM, when I'll rejected anyway afterwards. It's not like being fasttracked
in that way you described your impression.

> > Myon <a
> > href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint/2006/06/msg00019.html";>sent a
> > poll to applicants</a> on Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:49:29 +0200. Sadly, he first
> > missed to include me in that list, but sent me a copy some hours later or
> > so, which i instantly answered.
> Any essential parts of your answer missing on the NM report?

Dunno... no reaction was sent to me after my answer to the poll mail.

> > 9 months of waiting to that point.
> The NM process takes a long time for many applicants.

Nearly all of the applicants being behind me got AMs assigned in the
meanwhile.

> > which is somewhat surprising
> > because I already got a comment from a DAM member in January which states
> > (in short): <cite>"Your chances are rather minimal."</cite> Anyway...
> Did this DAM member explain why? Did this DAM member already know that
> you contribute without package maintenance?

No, he didn't, although I asked him for the reasons of his opinion. Just
silence.

> > Therefore I hereby revoke my application
> Too bad.

Indeed.

> > You can take that as some sort of rejection of the current NM process. Maybe
> > I'll reapply when things and people have changed.
> The NM process takes a long time for many applicants.  Still, applicants
> are being accepted.  It seems that the Debian project accepts patient
> applicants for a long term involvement in Debian.

As I said: I think I did show great patience.

> > Some additional words from me:
> > It's sad to see how people are left hanging and rotting in NM queue for that
> > long time. That's not the way how the project should treat NMs.
> That is not entirely true, although I agree that the NM queue may give
> such first impression.

First impression? I think it's more like long-term experience.

> > I think I've been patient enough. Waiting a whole year and still
> > got no AM assigned is enough, I guess.
> My impression is that Front Desk has decided that you don't need an AM
> for this kind of contributions.

Nope, as I already said, but if you're right I could reapply and being
fasttracked then...

> > I applied because I was got support from some DDs and even a DPL encouraged
> > me to apply.
> Great.  So multiple people expressed their appreciation of your
> contributions.

In fact, several people tried to convinced me for *years* to become a DD.

> > "You don't need to maintain a package to become a DD", was the
> > argument. Well, apparently this is not true. You really need to maintain
> > some packages or you won't be welcomed and will be rotting waiting in the
> > queue.
> > Of course, I'm disappointed to make this experience, but I learned from this
> > that the saying "you don't need to be a package maintainer to become a DD"
> > is just a lip service.
> I don't know whether package maintenance is mandatory to become DD
> nowadays.

It seems that way. Or being a translator.

>  Somehow package maintenance feels like one of the core
> activities of the Debian project, so it's not entirely unreasonable to
> want applicants to master this.  On the other hand the Debian project
> also needs other skills, like tools development and website building
> (buildd.net looks really cool at first sight).

Feel invited to participate and improve Buildd.Net... ;)

> > Of course I'll keep up maintaining <a
> > href="http://www.buildd.net/";>Buildd.Net</a>, my 4-5 m68k buildds (akire,
> > arrakis, vivaldi, spice, ...), that make 20-25% of all m68k buildds and for
> > which I decided to apply as NM to establish a trust path for them, and my
> > other Debian related work.
> The "trust path" can also be established by adding a few links on the
> Debian webpages to your work at buildd.net.

Well, it seems as not everyone feels like adding links to other pages:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=265142 but again, that's
not the point here. Being stuck in NM queue for a whole year (without any
progress) is.

--
Ciao...                //        Fon: 0381-2744150
      Ingo           \X/         SIP: 2744150@sipgate.de

gpg pubkey: http://www.juergensmann.de/ij/public_key.asc