Re: Revoking NM application due to inactivity from Debian

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 09:30 +0200, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> Hi!

Hi Ingo,

I'm just another applicant in the NM queue.

> The <a href="https://nm.debian.org/nmstatus.php";>NM applications page</a>
> says about my application:
>
> <cite>
> Applicant Status
> Received application	2005-09-13
> Advocate	Wouter Verhelst (wouter)
> Advocate Check	Passed on 2005-09-18
> Application Manager Assigned	None Assigned
> ID Check	Not checked
> Philosophy and Procedures Check	Not checked
> Tasks and Skills Check	Not checked
> Requested account name	None
> Application Manager recommends to DAM	--
> FD checks completeness of report	Not approved on 2006-06-27 by Marc
> Brockschmidt (he)
> DAM Phone Contact	Not required
> DAM Approval	--
> Account Created	No
> Time of Last Action	2006-06-27 03:04:42.102963-06
> Application Manager Comments
> None
> </cite>
>
> <cite>Debian Account Manager and Front Desk Comments
> no package; maintains buildd.net [Myon 2006-06-06]
> waiting for DAM comment [Myon 2006-06-27]
> </cite>

That's this page:
https://nm.debian.org/nmstatus.php?email=newmaint%40bluespice.org

> So, I applied exactly one year ago (minus some hours)

The NM process takes a long time for many applicants.

> and basically
> <strong>NOTHING</strong> happened so far. Therefore I have strong doubt that
> there will be any progress soon.
> As you can see really nothing happened until

My impression is that Front Desk has
- recorded that you contribute by maintaining buildd.net,
- decided that you don't need an AM for this kind of contributions,
- forwarded your application to DAM for approval.

> Myon <a
> href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint/2006/06/msg00019.html";>sent a
> poll to applicants</a> on Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:49:29 +0200. Sadly, he first
> missed to include me in that list, but sent me a copy some hours later or
> so, which i instantly answered.

Any essential parts of your answer missing on the NM report?

> 9 months of waiting to that point.

The NM process takes a long time for many applicants.

> Next step for Frontdesk was to contact DAM because I don't maintain any
> packages and intend to never do so, which I made perfectly clear in my
> answer of the applicants poll.

OK, that's recorded on your NM report.

> Waiting on DAM comment for about 3 months now,

That happens for many applicants.

> which is somewhat surprising
> because I already got a comment from a DAM member in January which states
> (in short): <cite>"Your chances are rather minimal."</cite> Anyway...

Did this DAM member explain why? Did this DAM member already know that
you contribute without package maintenance?

> Therefore I hereby revoke my application

Too bad.

> due to inactivity from the Debian
> project.
>
> You can take that as some sort of rejection of the current NM process. Maybe
> I'll reapply when things and people have changed.

The NM process takes a long time for many applicants.  Still, applicants
are being accepted.  It seems that the Debian project accepts patient
applicants for a long term involvement in Debian.

> Some additional words from me:
> It's sad to see how people are left hanging and rotting in NM queue for that
> long time. That's not the way how the project should treat NMs.

That is not entirely true, although I agree that the NM queue may give
such first impression.

> "You should have pinged the frontdesk earlier", you may argue now. Well, of
> course I could have done that, but on the other hand NMs are being told to
> be patient.

I agree that it's not up to the applicant to ping the Front Desk, the AM
and the DAM.

> I think I've been patient enough. Waiting a whole year and still
> got no AM assigned is enough, I guess.

My impression is that Front Desk has decided that you don't need an AM
for this kind of contributions.

> I applied because I was got support from some DDs and even a DPL encouraged
> me to apply.

Great.  So multiple people expressed their appreciation of your
contributions.

> "You don't need to maintain a package to become a DD", was the
> argument. Well, apparently this is not true. You really need to maintain
> some packages or you won't be welcomed and will be rotting waiting in the
> queue.
> Of course, I'm disappointed to make this experience, but I learned from this
> that the saying "you don't need to be a package maintainer to become a DD"
> is just a lip service.

I don't know whether package maintenance is mandatory to become DD
nowadays.  Somehow package maintenance feels like one of the core
activities of the Debian project, so it's not entirely unreasonable to
want applicants to master this.  On the other hand the Debian project
also needs other skills, like tools development and website building
(buildd.net looks really cool at first sight).

> So, I'm done with NM process from my side.

Too bad.

> If the Debian project decides
> that my help and my work (mainly buildd related) actually is appreciated and
> wanted, then it should find a better way to tell me than letting me waste a
> whole year time in NM queue waiting for an AM. But I sincerely doubt that
> this will ever happen.

Too bad that the NM process was a frustrating experience for you.

> Of course I'll keep up maintaining <a
> href="http://www.buildd.net/";>Buildd.Net</a>, my 4-5 m68k buildds (akire,
> arrakis, vivaldi, spice, ...), that make 20-25% of all m68k buildds and for
> which I decided to apply as NM to establish a trust path for them, and my
> other Debian related work.

The "trust path" can also be established by adding a few links on the
Debian webpages to your work at buildd.net.

Regards,

Bart Martens