Revoking NM application due to inactivity from Debian

Hi!

The <a href="https://nm.debian.org/nmstatus.php";>NM applications page</a>
says about my application:

<cite>
Applicant Status
Received application	2005-09-13
Advocate	Wouter Verhelst (wouter)
Advocate Check	Passed on 2005-09-18
Application Manager Assigned	None Assigned
ID Check	Not checked
Philosophy and Procedures Check	Not checked
Tasks and Skills Check	Not checked
Requested account name	None
Application Manager recommends to DAM	--
FD checks completeness of report	Not approved on 2006-06-27 by Marc
Brockschmidt (he)
DAM Phone Contact	Not required
DAM Approval	--
Account Created	No
Time of Last Action	2006-06-27 03:04:42.102963-06
Application Manager Comments
None
</cite>

<cite>Debian Account Manager and Front Desk Comments
no package; maintains buildd.net [Myon 2006-06-06]
waiting for DAM comment [Myon 2006-06-27]
</cite>

So, I applied exactly one year ago (minus some hours) and basically
<strong>NOTHING</strong> happened so far. Therefore I have strong doubt that
there will be any progress soon.
As you can see really nothing happened until Myon <a
href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint/2006/06/msg00019.html";>sent a
poll to applicants</a> on Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:49:29 +0200. Sadly, he first
missed to include me in that list, but sent me a copy some hours later or
so, which i instantly answered.
9 months of waiting to that point.

Next step for Frontdesk was to contact DAM because I don't maintain any
packages and intend to never do so, which I made perfectly clear in my
answer of the applicants poll.
Waiting on DAM comment for about 3 months now, which is somewhat surprising
because I already got a comment from a DAM member in January which states
(in short): <cite>"Your chances are rather minimal."</cite> Anyway...

Therefore I hereby revoke my application due to inactivity from the Debian
project.

You can take that as some sort of rejection of the current NM process. Maybe
I'll reapply when things and people have changed.

Some additional words from me:
It's sad to see how people are left hanging and rotting in NM queue for that
long time. That's not the way how the project should treat NMs.
"You should have pinged the frontdesk earlier", you may argue now. Well, of
course I could have done that, but on the other hand NMs are being told to
be patient. I think I've been patient enough. Waiting a whole year and still
got no AM assigned is enough, I guess.

I applied because I was got support from some DDs and even a DPL encouraged
me to apply. "You don't need to maintain a package to become a DD", was the
argument. Well, apparently this is not true. You really need to maintain
some packages or you won't be welcomed and will be rotting waiting in the
queue.
Of course, I'm disappointed to make this experience, but I learned from this
that the saying "you don't need to be a package maintainer to become a DD"
is just a lip service.

So, I'm done with NM process from my side. If the Debian project decides
that my help and my work (mainly buildd related) actually is appreciated and
wanted, then it should find a better way to tell me than letting me waste a
whole year time in NM queue waiting for an AM. But I sincerely doubt that
this will ever happen.

Of course I'll keep up maintaining <a
href="http://www.buildd.net/";>Buildd.Net</a>, my 4-5 m68k buildds (akire,
arrakis, vivaldi, spice, ...), that make 20-25% of all m68k buildds and for
which I decided to apply as NM to establish a trust path for them, and my
other Debian related work.

--
Ciao...                //        Fon: 0381-2744150
      Ingo           \X/         SIP: 2744150@sipgate.de

gpg pubkey: http://www.juergensmann.de/ij/public_key.asc