Re: Suggestion: Time limit for NM process

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 00:29:21 +0000, "Thaddeus H. Black" <t@b-tk.org> said:

> Hubert Chan wrote:
>> I think that if we add more developers, the amount of work will
>> increase faster.

> I am not sure that it scales that way.  One must respect those who
> disagree, but them I ask a question: If Debian had ten thousand
> Developers, do you think that the Project could get any useful work
> done at all?

Yes, the Project would get useful work done.  The Project would even get
more useful work done than it does right now.  But there will,
eventually, be much more orphaned packages than there are now, as people
lose interest, or get overloaded, or resign, etc.

I was not saying that adding new developers increases overhead and makes
everyone less efficient.  The point I was trying to make is that adding
new developers does not necessarily directly affect, say, the number of
orphaned packages.  Developers generally bring their own work into
Debian, rather than taking over someone else's (orphaned) work.  And
most people (myself included) have a bad habit of taking on more work
than they can handle.

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)