Re: Suggestion: Time limit for NM process

On Sun, April 2, 2006 19:30, Bart Martens wrote:
> I understand that some new maintainers on the NM queue become
> discouraged, because they sit there on the NM queue for a long time,
> while nothing visible is happening.  But, I think that the NM queue is
> not a problem for participating in the Debian project.  In fact, I am
> amazed by how quickly I became the maintainer of a few packages.  Maybe
> I'm just lucky.  My request for sponsorship got picked up quite quickly,
> and now my sponsor uploads my updates always within a few days.

I haven't been able to vote on the two recent votes conducted in this
project, even though I passed all steps I could do and have been an active
contributor for 1,5 years.

It gets tiresome to ping a sponsor multiple times for each upload, time
and time again. It gets the speed out of development and is wasted time.

> I would not try to increase the speed of the NM queue with time limits.
> The speed of the NM queue should be what the project needs.  A faster NM
> queue would attract many more new applicants.  And I guess that the
> number of DD's must not grow too fast either.

If you see the number of (suspected) MIA maintainers, of packages up for
adoption or orphaned, combined with the increase in the number of
packages, Debian can use a lot more help.

Thijs