Re: NM status: separate DAM approval and account creation?

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 01:24:53AM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> On 10247 March 1977, ivan-debian-newmaint@420.am wrote:

> > The *process* is still bottlenecked on a single person.  I'm frankly
> > dumbfounded that you, as an additional DAM who was appointed to
> > relieve that bottleneck, are being hostile towards those of us
> > asking you to actually do so.
>
> Im appointed as DAM, not as keyring-maint or debian-sysadmin.

So http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint#DAM should be corrected for
the "new reality":

  Debian Account Managers: <da-manager@debian.org>
  These are the people who review applications from the Front Desk and
  make the final decision as to whether to accept or reject the
  applicant.  They are delegates appointed by the Debian Project Leader,
  as described in the Debian Constitution.  The DAMs do not actually
  create and remove accounts; they must send all their requests to
  Debian System Administration.

Looking at the old one I hope you can understand why there's such a
disconnect between what you're actually doing and what people expected
you'd be doing.

> Now go back in time, around December 2004.
> There is this small little AM who suddenly gets mentally ill and starts
> to bug the existing DAM with sentences similar to "Sorry, but you are
> probably busy/overloaded/whatever, let me help you". Doing that for some
> days, getting responses, talking, etc. From a random AM who just
> happened to have some NMs processed in the past.

You are no longer a "random AM".  You are a delegate of our elected
leader and I'm insulted that ANY DD would take it upon themselves to
prevent you from carrying out your delegated responsibilities or
retroactively redefine your role after delegation.

> Come back to now and think about what "the missing stuff" means: Having all,
> keyring-maint, debian-sysadmin and DAM you can say "I own the project"
> as in "I can do every bullshit I want (except another dsa is
> incidentally watching and stops you)". Add accounts, add yourself to
> any group you want, add keys to the keyring which is the central thing
> for many places in debian, etc. pp. Imagine whatever you want, you
> probably know what root-like stuff can do.
>
> What would you, as James, do then? Happily hand out all that?
> If you answer yes, please shoot yourself now. :)

Yes, if another DAM was appointed by the DPL, I would give them the
access necessary to fulfill that role and manage accounts.  It would not
be my place to second-guess appointments.  We are a democratically
governed organization and the appointments of the elected DPL should be
respected, not stonewalled.  I'm flabbergasted that you *don't* expect
your delegation to be respected and are complacent in this regard.

I have to say, I don't find this an encouraging development.  I'd much
rather give you the access necessary to carry out the role delegated to
you than redefine that role after-the-fact to remove the things you
aren't being allowed to do.  :/

--
Ivan Kohler
ivan@debian.org