Re: Non-Session-Manager

On 3/7/20 11:35 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig (Debian/GNU) wrote:
On 3/6/20 4:49 PM, erich@ericheickmeyer.com wrote:
RaySession is in Ubuntu and is part of the default
Ubuntu Studio install, and that's final.
honestly, i don't know what to make of this.
to me, it sounds quite aggressive towards the OP, though i'm pretty sure
that this was not the intention.

*what* is final?
- that RaySession is in ubuntu? (how can that be final?)
- that RaySession is part of the default (upcoming?) Ubuntu Studio
release? (well fine, i cannot comment on that; but how is this relevant?
i guess there's a couple of packages that are part of the default Ubuntu
Studio installation)
- that, because Ubuntu Studio already has a similar package (RaySession)
in the default installation, Non-Session-Manager will not be part of the
default Ubuntu Studio installation? (again: fine; nobody asked for that)

This situation is actually problematic, because it's just not wise to offer RaySession as the default application for NSM in the next Ubuntu Studio at this moment.

First thing I noticed when I tested RaySession, was that it broke one of my sessions two times and I've read other reports that it is not stable. (At this point there is already little need for more discussion, because a session manager should be reliable. Default NSM UI is, RaySession less so apparently).

But there are more design decisions which are important to consider too. RaySession has it's own NSM session file format, so when you use a NSM session in RaySession, you can't use it in NSM default UI. All people I spoke with, agree that this is not smart and that it is not needed. This creates a unnecessary obstacle without a need for it. Unnecessary confusion and a reintroduction of a 'messy' session manager (SM) environment on Linuxaudio.

Then there is a other aspect of the application which shows me that the developer is not enough aware of the history of SMs on Linuxaudio and why they failed, which is that he lists NSM supported applications in a same list with LASH and Ladish supported applications. A previous attempt for a SM (Ladish) did also supported all kind of levels of support, which caused a 'messy' situation where users are working with all kind of applications with different levels of support. NSM is clear about this, no nonsense anymore, applications should have NSM support. I'm afraid that the RaySession developer doesn't get it and re-introduces this previous 'mess' we had again (with all the extra work for the original author in return too).

Then there is also a social part (less important probably), where the RaySession developer wrote a GUI on top of the hard work of someone else, giving it it's own name, without notifying the original author, without discussion of deeper design decisions, without contributing to the original UI. I can't even find a e-mail address of the guy and he hasn't been active in the NON community at all it seems (apart from some github issue request which he needed for his GUI).

The original author of NSM is not happy with RaySession , early community members and diehard NSM users are not happy with it, someone else wants to write a other UI because he thinks that RaySession is the wrong approach and the maintainer of Kxstudio has not included it yet, because he thinks it's not good for the community.

The next Ubuntu Studio release is probably the first time for many where people gets easy access to NSM (apart from Kxstudio). Given the situation described above, is absolutely not wise to introduce NSM to them with RaySession as the default GUI, instead those users should be introduced to NSM with the default NSM GUI.

Regards,

\R