Re: Non-Session-Manager

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'll contact the main developer about this and report back.

On 06-03-2020 16:27, eeickmeyer@ubuntu.com wrote:

In Ubuntu, I have packaged and included RaySession, which is completely
API compatible with NSM and uses Qt as opposed to NTK. You can see it
at https://launchpad.net/raysession. I recommend using it in
conjunction with Carla for same, if not better, functionality than NSM.

No it's not completely API compatible with NSM! RaySession does changed the NSM session file format, which is a pretty stupid thing to do imho and most NSM users finds the same. It also means that sessions in Raysession can't be used in NSM. It brings back the Session Management 'mess' we had on Linuxaudio before the release of NSM. It lists Ladish/LASH applications in the same list with NSM applications for instance. Frankly, to me all signs that the developer of RaySession absolutely doesn't get it. I've tested it and it actually broke a NSM session of mine and I heard others with the same experience. So my strong recommendation would be to use the default UI for NSM, and not RaySession. And to not add it to Ubuntu at all, or remove it if it's there already! Seriously.

It's also good to note that RaySession is a UI for NSM. He wrote a UI on top of others work without using the name NSM.

This is personal preference, but it's also a misconception, that more functionality makes a UI more easy. It actually makes a UI more complex in this case. More (little) knobs to choose for functionality you not really need. The default NSM GUI is fast, reliable (!) and simple stupid. Which is actually precisely what a GUI for a Session Manager should be.

I hope you understand, but as far as packaging NSM, it is nearly
impossible in Debian. Any attempts I have made have taken more time and
energy than I am willing to dedicate to it, and I'm sure the Debian
Multimedia team would agree.

Thank you,
Erich
----