Re: Non-Session-Manager

Hi rosea,

On Fri, 2020-03-06 at 16:42 +0100, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I'll contact the main developer about this
> and
> report back.
>
> On 06-03-2020 16:27, eeickmeyer@ubuntu.com wrote:
> > In Ubuntu, I have packaged and included RaySession, which is
> > completely
> > API compatible with NSM and uses Qt as opposed to NTK. You can see
> > it
> > at https://launchpad.net/raysession. I recommend using it in
> > conjunction with Carla for same, if not better, functionality than
> > NSM.
>
> No it's not completely API compatible with NSM! RaySession does
> changed
> the NSM session file format, which is a pretty stupid thing to do
> imho
> and most NSM users finds the same. It also means that sessions in
> Raysession can't be used in NSM. It brings back the Session
> Management
> 'mess' we had on Linuxaudio before the release of NSM. It lists
> Ladish/LASH applications in the same list with NSM applications for
> instance. Frankly, to me all signs that the developer of RaySession
> absolutely doesn't get it. I've tested it and it actually broke a
> NSM
> session of mine and I heard others with the same experience. So my
> strong recommendation would be to use the default UI for NSM, and
> not
> RaySession. And to not add it to Ubuntu at all, or remove it if it's
> there already! Seriously.

API compatible does not mean session compatible. It means that it
interacts with applications that are NSM ready. It's not meant to load
sessions from NSM. That's the misconception. I've heard the objections,
but unless the Non-* developers make their packages more compatible,
this is a no-go. RaySession is in Ubuntu and is part of the default
Ubuntu Studio install, and that's final.

Erich