Re: How to get Synaptic Package Manager to learn?

Am 18.03.2011 01:36, schrieb Charlie Gray:
64Studio/Synaptic Package Manager only recognize earlier versions (up

Rosegarden 1:10.04.2-1 is already in Debian stable. have you tried refreshing the package list in Synaptic (Edit -> Reload Package Information)?

to 1:1.7.3-1. I've downloaded the Gzip archive from the Debian site
and read the advice that I should definitely use Synaptic Package
Manager(SPM) to make any updates. So how do I tell SPM to see the new
version and load it so I can use it? I can't work it out, it doesn't
seem to be in the SPM manual.

It seems you don't understand the concept of software packages. Debian organizes its software in so called packages with file ending .deb. The gzip archive won't help you much unless you are going to rebuild the software from source.

So in order to install rosegarden you need to download the rosegraden .deb file and install it with dpkg - theoretically. It is right advice to install the package with a proper package management system, e.g. synaptic. In "Settings -> Repositories" add (or enable) the Debian stable repository and reload the package list as describe above. Then select rosegarden for installation.

 - Fabian