How to get Synaptic Package Manager to learn?

Hello list

64Studio 3.1 beta 32-bit is now installed and working well. However I have some Rosegarden data that I can't run because it was created in 10.04.2. 64Studio/Synaptic Package Manager only recognize earlier versions (up to 1:1.7.3-1. I've downloaded the Gzip archive from the Debian site and read the advice that I should definitely use Synaptic Package Manager(SPM) to make any updates. So how do I tell SPM to see the new version and load it so I can use it? I can't work it out, it doesn't seem to be in the SPM manual.

All suggestions welcome

Cheers, Charlie