Re: Adapting Debian to Music Making

Hello Guenter

Em Sex, 2003-08-01 às 14:30, guenter geiger escreveu:
> I think this is the perfect forum for that. It is true that it is
> low volume up to now, but with sound software getting very
> professional on Linux already, Debian should not stand back.

The 2.6 series of kernels will bring the turning point when OSS
gets deprecated and ALSA becomes the standard.  We shouldn't
stay behind to try to improve debian on this field.

> There are several issues that should be addressed. One goal could
> be to build a multimedia task, set up a multimedia subproject just
> like debian-med or debian-edu.

That is my intention, if we get enough people interested. We should
start by contacting the current sound/video app's maintainers and
invite them for this list, maybe we gather enough people to start
a debian task.

> It would be nice if sound cards, video cards, cameras and other hardware
> would be nicer integrated into Debian.
>
> We need special lowlatency kernels. Better integration of jack
> (configuration, easy startup) ..

They are already addressing this, some days ago a qt jack starter was
annonced on jack-devel.

> On the video side I don't know, but there are several interesting
> projects out there, starting from cinelerra, which is not packaged
> yet to other video editting tools.

Yup. I guess it's due to the fact that the hardware needed to fully use
this kind of software is not very common... at least it's not easily
found around my area :D

> > We could benefit a lot from more communication between the devels
> > dealing with multimedia related packages, specially by somehow
> > heightening the integration between the applications we maintain,
> > whenever we find an oportunity to do so.
>
> Right, integration, documentation and lobbying for this kind of software
> within Debian.
>
> > I'm sorry if I am missing something which is already happening in this
> > area, since my motivation is really recent. If that's the case
> > I'd like very much to join it. If it's not happening yet, I'd love
> > to create it.
>
> There is demudi, which is now integrated into a project called
> agnula (www.agnula.org). Demudi has its own release cycles, and is
> based on Debian. I think it is worth helping the Demudi team.
> One way to help them is to improve Debian itself in this area.
> One way to communicate could be using this mailing list for
> multimedia related discussions.

I tried looking first at what demudi had already done, but their website
and isos were not available, so I started my own design using jack +
apps + rt kernel.

If there are more developers wanting to create this multimedia task
force, I'm all for it.

--
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples then
you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an idea and I