Re: Adapting Debian to Music Making

On 1 Aug 2003, Eduardo Marcel Macan wrote:
> Is this a good forum to reach the other developers dealing with
> multimedia related software in debian? I see this is a very low
> volume list nowadays.

I think this is the perfect forum for that. It is true that it is
low volume up to now, but with sound software getting very
professional on Linux already, Debian should not stand back.

There are several issues that should be addressed. One goal could
be to build a multimedia task, set up a multimedia subproject just
like debian-med or debian-edu.

It would be nice if sound cards, video cards, cameras and other hardware
would be nicer integrated into Debian.

We need special lowlatency kernels. Better integration of jack
(configuration, easy startup) ..

On the video side I don't know, but there are several interesting
projects out there, starting from cinelerra, which is not packaged
yet to other video editting tools.

> We could benefit a lot from more communication between the devels
> dealing with multimedia related packages, specially by somehow
> heightening the integration between the applications we maintain,
> whenever we find an oportunity to do so.

Right, integration, documentation and lobbying for this kind of software
within Debian.

> I'm sorry if I am missing something which is already happening in this
> area, since my motivation is really recent. If that's the case
> I'd like very much to join it. If it's not happening yet, I'd love
> to create it.

There is demudi, which is now integrated into a project called
agnula (www.agnula.org). Demudi has its own release cycles, and is
based on Debian. I think it is worth helping the Demudi team.
One way to help them is to improve Debian itself in this area.
One way to communicate could be using this mailing list for
multimedia related discussions.

Greetings,

Guenter